‘Land of Fire’… This is the name which the Azerbaijan Tourism markets use to describe this special country. Historically, this ancient land straddles the Caucasus region, and it has seen the rise and fall of many empires throughout the ages which left many of their monuments on its land. Today, Azerbaijan is rapidly transforming from a historical country into an attractive amazing Eurasian destination. Its economy which is based on oil and petroleum production has highly developed and heralded a construction boom of commercial buildings, new hotels, restaurants, and glitzy golf and ski resorts.
Azerbaijan was once a part of the now-defunct Union of Soviet Socialist Republic (USSR), therefore, it still has a mix of Soviet-era architecture which is something so attractive and beautiful.
Moreover, Baku, Azerbaijan’s capital, is an exciting city which is listed at the UNESCO– historic neighborhood and effectively mingled with contemporary architecture.
When you leave the capital city, you will have various chances and opportunities to enjoy different activities like timeless rural villages, quaint Caspian Sea resorts, lush green farms and orchards, semi-desert landscapes with mud volcanoes and interesting fire phenomena, and the stunning backdrop of the Great Caucasus mountain range.
Although Azerbaijan is still considered as an offbeat tourist destination in Europe, it is known as a delightful tourist destination blessed with a rich culture and history, delicious food, historic cities and town and a plenty of adventure activities.
The List Below Introduces you to some of the most 5 Attractive Destinations in Azerbaijan To Visit
The capital of Azerbaijan is called Baku and known as ‘City on the Hills’. Like Tbilisi in Georgia and Yerevan in Armenia, It is considered as one of the most popular Caucasian capital city of troikas and located at the juncture of Europe and Asia. This surreal city intrigue the past and the cosmopolitan present, which constitute an evocative mix that attracts a big number of tourists annually from all over the world.
As a major technical, scientific, cultural, and industrial center of Azerbaijan and because it is considered as a great spot for shopping, dining, and nightlife, Azerbaijan really worth visiting.
Delicious food especially halal food, drinks, glittering skyscrapers, heritage sites, and many others are quickly turning the city into a premier tourist destination, and one of the top places to visit in Azerbaijan.
Do you know what you can do at Baku, Azerbaijan?
– Take a tour on foot in Baku’s Old Town
– Diwan Khana, Maiden Tower, the Palace of Shirvanshahs and mosques and minarets are some of the top attractions in Baku, so don’t miss them.
– Take a stroll in the city center.
– Roam around the Teze Bazar which is the famous local bazaar bustling with local and seasonal produces that will blow your mind.
– Marvel at the Flame Tower which is one of the legendary modern-day architectural gems of the city, standing in Baku’s downtown seafront.
– just outside of Baku, head to Fire Mountain Yanar Dag, a mysterious hillside which is renowned for its continuously burning natural fire.
– Try to find some of the several hundred mud volcanoes outside the city. They are great for adventures and give Azerbaijan the sobriquet of ‘the land of mud volcanoes.’
Ganja is the second largest city in Azerbaijan, it has an amazingly rich cultural, natural, and historical heritage and a remarkable interesting history which is related to 494 BC. It has great tourist attractions like vineyards, mountains, eclectic forests, rivers, picturesque lakes, and many others. Mineral springs and Naftalan oil- unique medicinal oil are the main natural resources in this area. It is really a delightful tourism destination which tourists enjoy.
There are many things to do in Ganja:
– Experience the beauty and the traditions of Azerbaijan’s culture by visiting the famed Novruz Festival celebrations.
– Visit Ganja market to buy and taste the local natural foods.
– Visit the Tomb of Nizami, Juma Mosque of Ganja among others, in addition to the steep banks of Lake Goygol.
– They are ideal for families to make picnics, swimming, and general sightseeing.
It is popular as a land surrounded by spectacular mountains and situated on the picturesque hillsides of the Caucasus Mountains. It is beautiful and interesting as well as considered one of the ancient cities in Azerbaijan.
The city is famous for it’s remarkable cultural, architectural and historical sites, its artisans, mouth-watering baklava, hand-made fabulous souvenirs, and friendly citizens. If you wanna learn about the 15th to 18th-century history of Azerbaijan, you must have a tour to Azerbaijan especially visiting caravanserais (they are buildings and palaces which are built as guest houses on trade routes) and of course the palace of Sheki Khans and other monuments.
There are many interesting things to do in Sheki:
– Explore the rich history and culture of Azerbaijan by visiting historical and cultural places as the medieval fortress, Sheki Khans’ Palace and local history museum.
– Take a tour on foot to see the panoramic views of the town in addition to exploring the local mosques, madrasas, ancient Albanian churches, handicraft workshops, and local bazaars.
– Discover Sheki’s stunning murals, ornamental Persian gardens, and stained glass works, you can also learn a great deal about the once thriving Silk Road.
It is located at the south-eastern part of Azerbaijan and it is popular for its subtropical paradise resort. In Lankaran, you can enjoy its exquisite architecture, natural landscapes, the amazing climate, and other characteristics that make it one of the most beautiful cities in the country. Its nature combines fertile lowlands, its mountaintops and sea coasts. The main two hallmarks of the city are Lankaran Fortress and Kicik-Bazar mosque, in addition to the tomb of Pir Hussain which is a famous minaret.
There are many things to do in Lankaran:
– Wander on the narrow winding streets of a city center, And walk in the town bazaar and get off some local souvenirs, you can also experience the authentic outdoor dining opportunities.
– Drive or take a trip on foot along the well-preserved Hirkan National Park. This is considered the home of some endangered and endemic animals like the Front-Asian Leopard, Persian Leopard, Lynx, and many others.
– Explore the beautiful Lankaran Fortress, the architectural landmarks is the Mir Ahmad Khan House, in the heart of the city, and the natural hot springs at the Azerbaijan-Iran border.
It is located about 225 km away from the capital among deep canyons and tall mountains. Most tourists are surprised with its numerous cultural and historical monuments of different eras,
its ancient history, and marvelous nature. If you like to admire the blossoming of trees and to enjoy the awakening of nature, then plan your visit in spring because it is the best time to travel along its lush landscapes. Gabala has plenty of attractive attractions like an ice rink, XD theatres, sports fields, great food, carting and many others which attract thousands of tourists to the city every year.
There are many things to do in Gabala:
– Discover the ancient history, explore the History Museum which is considered as the home to amazing artifacts.
– Discover some of the best local beauty spots of the city like river valleys, the Russian Forest, the mountain village of Laza, and many other numerous picturesque villages.
– Go and join one of the biggest music festivals of the country named the Annual International Music Festival of classical music.
Azerbaijan is an interesting country with its great historical and amazing places boasting of a large war memorial, beautiful Soviet mosaics, numerous ancient stone houses, the Seven Beauties Waterfall, Durja, the neighboring Koh Murad Mountain, the Nohur Reservoir, small green villages of Laza and many others.